About da Vinci Surgery System
A new category of surgery, enabled by the da Vinci ® Surgical System, is being used by an increasing number of surgeons worldwide for prostatectomy and other urologic procedures including:
• da Vinci ® Cystectomy
• da Vinci ® Partial Nephrectomy
• da Vinci ® Radical Nephrectomy
• da Vinci ® Pyeloplasty
• da Vinci ® Radical Prostatectomy
This minimally invasive approach, in which your surgeon utilizes the latest in computer and robotic technologies, is ideal for delicate urologic surgery. This includes prostatectomy – removal of the prostate gland to treat cancer – in which the target site is not only tightly confined but also surrounded by nerves affecting urinary control and sexual function. Using da Vinci ®, your surgeon has a better tool to spare surrounding nerves, which may enhance both your recovery experience and clinical outcomes.
While clinical studies support the effectiveness of the da Vinci ® System when used in minimally invasive surgery, individual results may vary. Surgery with the da Vinci ® Surgical System may not be appropriate for every individual. Always ask your doctor about all treatment options, as well as their risks and benefits.
da Vinci® Surgery
The da Vinci® Surgical System is being used by many surgeons worldwide for prostatectomy and other urologic procedures. It is a minimally invasive approach, using the latest in surgical and robotics technologies and is ideal for both complex and delicate urologic surgeries. This includes prostatectomy, where the target site is not only tightly confined but also surrounded by nerves affecting urinary control and sexual function.
da Vinci Surgery offers patients facing urologic surgery many potential benefits over traditional open surgery, including:
With the da Vinci System, surgeons operate through a few small incisions instead of a large open incision – similar to traditional laparoscopy. The da Vinci System features a magnified 3D high-definition vision system and special wristed instruments that bend and rotate far greater than the human wrist. da Vincienables your doctor to operate with enhanced vision, precision, dexterity and control.
As a result of da Vinci technology, da Vinci Prostatectomy offers many potential benefits when compared to traditional open surgery, including:
- More precise removal of cancerous tissue
- Ability to perform nerve sparring surgery which enables:
- Faster return of erectile (sexual) function: Studies show patients who are potent prior to da Vinci Surgery experience a faster return of erectile function than previously potent patients who have open surgery
- Better chance for return of urinary continence: Recent studies show more patients with da Vinci Surgery have full return of urinary continence within 6 months as compared to patients having open surgery4,
- Less blood loss
- Less need for a blood transfusion
- Less pain
- Lower risk of complications
- Lower risk of wound infection
- Shorter hospital stay
- Less chance of hospital readmission
- Less chance of needing follow-up surgery
- Fewer days with catheter
- Less risk of deep vein thrombosis (life-threatening condition where a blood clot forms deep in the body)
- Faster recovery and return to normal activities
Research references found at the da Vinci surgery website regarding prostatectomy and other procedures: click here
While clinical studies support the effectiveness of the da Vinci Surgical System when used in minimally invasive surgery, individual results may vary. There are no guarantees of outcome. All surgeries involve the risk of major complications. Before you decide on surgery, discuss treatment options with your doctor. Understanding the risks of each treatment can help you make the best decision for your individual situation. Surgery with the da Vinci Surgical System may not be appropriate for every individual; it may not be applicable to your condition. Always ask your doctor about all treatment options, as well as their risks and benefits. Only your doctor can determine whether da Vinci Surgery is appropriate for your situation. The clinical information and opinions, including any inaccuracies expressed in this material by patients or doctors about da Vinci Surgery, are not necessarily those of Intuitive Surgical, Inc. and should not be considered as substitute for medical advice provided by your doctor. © 2010 Intuitive Surgical. All rights reserved.
Content provided by Intuitive Surgical. For more information, please visit www.davincisurgery.com